Condiments de Figue
- 4 oz or more dried mission figs, soaked in warm water with stems removed
- 2 tbsp clarified butter (or regular butter)
- ½ c or more cabernet sauvignon
- water as needed
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- juice from one lemon slice
- few leaves rosemary or mint, chopped
Melt clarified butter over medium heat. Chop softened figs into quarters, eighths, or to desired size and add to pan. Toss to coat with butter. Add wine and lemon juice and zest and bring to boiling. Turn down heat, add sugar, allspice, nutmeg, and rosemary. Stir frequently and allow to reduce. Add more water if needed. When mixture begins to hold (bottom of pan is visible with stirring), transfer to serving bowl and allow to cool.
Vivi says: make it more robust by adding a package of chestnuts to the ingredients (may need extra liquid). Perfect for venison, bison, or lamb.