- 1 pound mixed fresh white and exotic mushrooms such as cremini, oyster, or shiitake (discard shiitake stems), sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- In a 10-inch heavy non-stick skillet cook garlic in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until pale golden.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add mushrooms and soy sauce and sauté mixture over moderately high heat, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms begin to brown.
- Stir in rosemary, and season with salt and pepper
- Add wine and vinegar and boil until liquid is evaporated.
Gravy may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. When reheating gravy, add water if necessary to thin to desired consistency.