Thai Peanut Sauce
Creamy, salty, sweet, spicy, and chock full of peanuts! Serve with Thai spring rolls.
- ¼ coconut cream
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter (we love Santa Cruz Organic's crunchy dark roasted version) or blended fresh roasted peanuts
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and gently cooked in
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 1-3 Thai chili peppers, minced (3 is very spicy!!!)
- 1 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Thai shrimp paste
- ½ tsp lemongrass powder
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp galanga powder
- water as needed
Heat sesame oil over low heat and add garlic; cook until fragrant and beginning to brown. Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl. If desired, process in a food processor until smooth. Add more coconut cream, peanut butter, water, or other ingredients as desired. Chill until ready to serve!
If you have pre-packaged Thai curry paste (red or Massaman works best, I think), use 1 tbsp in lieu of the shrimp paste, lemongrass powder, and galanga powder. Also, if you have tamarind paste, use instead of the rice vinegar; if you have Thai fish sauce, use instead of soy sauce. For an improvised version, this tasted great! Lots of tang and peanuts. Would like to try with tamarind or at least lime.