Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Julia's Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe is similar to the other butternut squash soup recipes but was designed specifically by my best friend! She also gave perfect cooking instructions. - Tracy
- 2 Med. Butternut squash
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 medium onion, chopped (about 2 cup)
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger, optional
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups cream or more as needed
- Nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray or veg. oil. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Bake squash in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until very tender. Set aside to cool. When the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh from the skin.
- While the squash is cooling, cook the onion and the ginger in the butter in a saucepan, over moderately low heat, for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened, Add the broth and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, covered. Add the squash pulp to the sauce pan. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, in batches, and puree until smooth. Add enough cream to achieve the desired consistency, and add nutmeg gratings, salt and pepper to taste. Return the soup to the sauce pan and cook over moderate heat until it is hot. Garnish each portion with the heaping teaspoon of low-fat sour cream.