Red Lentil Curry
supposedly serves 8
goes well with Gewurztraminer or dry Riesling.
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
- 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree
- Wash lentils in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Simmer in a covered pot until tender.
- Caramelize the onions in oil.
- While the onions are cooking, combine curry paste and powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a bowl. Mix well.
- When onions are translucent, add spices and cook over high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat, allow curry base to simmer until lentils are ready.
- When the lentils are tender, drain any excess water and return to pot.
- Mix in curry base and serve immediately over rice.