- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped lemongrass (roughly one large stalk)
- ¼ cup powdered cinchona bark
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp whole allspice berries
- ¼ cup citric acid
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- agave syrup (measured later)
- You can use grapefruit instead of orange for a slightly different flavor
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 min.
- Remove from heat and strain several times using a french press.
- Add ¾ cup agave syrup to each cup of mixture over low heat.
- Store in refrigerator in a shiny bottle.
Note: you can also store the syrup unsweetened, and add agave syrup to a drink when you mix it.
Based on Jeffrey's original recipe: How to Make Your Own Tonic Water