Gluten and Sugar-Free Apple Coffee Cake
- 2 1/2 cups apple sauce
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups whole grain oat flour (or brown rice flour)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup date sugar
- 1/4 cup flour (same as above)
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- Melt the butter in a pot. Add the dates, and cook for 5-7 minutes, mashing the dates with a wooden spoon. Pour the mixture into a blender and add the apple sauce. Blend until smooth.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the date mixture and the dry ingredients to the bowl, and mix well.
- Fold the chopped apples into the batter.
- Butter a 9x9 square pan or bread loaf pan, and pour in the batter.
- Mix the ingredients for the topping in a small bowl until it becomes a consistent crumbly texture.
- Pour the topping evenly over the coffee cake.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350°.