Delicious alone or paired with our Condiments de Figue.
- 1 oz dried morels
- ½ cup organic whole milk
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1 tbsp chopped onion, green onion, leek and/or shallot
- few leaves fresh rosemary, chopped
- dash dried dill
- ½ cup pinot grigio or other white wine
- juice from one lemon slice
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Warm milk gently in a small bowl; soak dry morels in the milk and allow to develop for at least half an hour or until soft. Remove morels but reserve milk. If desired, cut softened morels into smaller morsels.
Over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and onion/leek/shallot. Add morels and spices and toss to coat, cooking until fragrant. Deglaze with about a quarter cup white wine and lemon juice. Add about half the milk, making sure to strain out any silt from the bottom of the bowl. Add cream and remaining wine and heat until alcohol has cooked off and mixture is thickening. Add any additional salt and pepper. Serve warm.
FYI: grass-fed butter has a much richer flavor than conventional butter.