Cook Rice without a Rice Cooker
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- Measure 1 cup of rice into a pot
- Pour 1 1/2 cups cold water into the pot
- Place the pot over moderate to high heat
- When the rice comes to a rolling boil, turn the heat down as low as possible, place a well-sealed lid on the pot and continue heating for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat. Place a paper towel between the lid and the pot to avoid moisture buildup. Do not lift the lid or stir the rice for 10 minutes
- For white rice, the water to rice ratio should be 1.5:1. For brown rice, you will need 2:1 water to rice, and double the time.
- This recipe is about sufficient to accompany a meal for 2 people.
- A rolling boil is when large bubbles appear that cannot be dissipated by stirring, and will keep breaking the surface. In making rice, the rolling boil is important so that enough steam builds up to completely cook the rice without it being over an open flame.