Comte Onion Tart
- 1 tbsp coarse-grain mustard
- (9-inch) unbaked pastry crust
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups half-and-half
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1½ cups (6 oz) shredded Comte cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush mustard over pastry crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Heat oil over medium heat, add onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook until onions caramelize, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Remove crust from oven and prick with a fork. Line with wax paper or foil, add pie weights, and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Combine eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper; whisk until blended.
- Sprinkle cheese over the bottom of the crust, pour in egg mixture, and spoon onions over top.
- Bake until set and top is golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes