Cauliflower au Gratin
Makes one casserole dish.
A must for cheese fans, low-carb diets, and cauliflower season!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2-4 tbsp flour (to make gluten-free, substitute flour or starch of choice)
- 2 cups whole milk (or combination milk and cream)
- 4 oz cheddar, colby, or other cheese of choice, shredded
- 1 oz romano or parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic and onion powders (optional)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- goat cheese for topping (optional)
- breadcrumbs for topping (optional)
Grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 425.
Steam cauliflower florets 4-6 minutes. They should be just undercooked. Remove from heat.
Make a roux: in a saucepan, melt butter. When butter is hot, stir in flour to make a paste. Add milk and stir over medium heat, pressing out any lumps, until mixture begins to thicken. Continue to stir for another 2-5 minutes. Add cheeses, salt and pepper, and other flavors. Pour 1/3 of sauce into casserole pan. Add florets, pour the remaining sauce over, and toss briefly. Top with additional cheese and breadcrumbs, if desired. Bake 30-45 minutes, until bubbling and browning. Broil 2 minutes to finish.
Would like to try with real onions, like the potato counterpart.